In this week’s episode of the Chatabout Children™ Podcast we sit down with dietitian Monica Kubizniak, where we will talk about food fuel for effective learning.
Monica completed her Master’s degree in Nutrition and Dietetics in 2000. Since graduating, she’s worked in community health centers, hospitals, and private practice both here in Australia and overseas.
Monica is not only a dietitian but also a mum to 3 young kids. So, we ask her how she practises her expertise in food and nutrition at home. She gives us her top tips for creating healthy filling meals to help sustain our children as they grow and learn.
- In this episode Monica and Sonia Bestulic also discuss:
Why she advises parents against cooking more than one meal for families with more than one child.
- How she teaches and encourages her kids to listen to what their bodies are telling them — to cues — about fuelling and refueling themselves; something they will bring with them when they become adolescents.
- What are the best foods to give your preschool or school-age child for learning, concentration, and attention.
A typical day for a dietitian with three kids. She shares the actual food she prepares for her kids’ breakfast, lunch, snack time and dinner.
- The common culprits that we find in the lunch box of a typical Australian child.
- How to cope with the imperfect days when you don’t have time to buy, or prepare, healthy food for your child.
- Monica’s Top After School or Morning Tea Snack Ideas for Kids
- What everyone should know about the harmful effect of nitrates in your body and the healthier options available in the market.
When I asked Monica about her top 3 healthy snack ideas to prepare for kids, she gave me more than 3, which is amazing. Here are her top 7 snack ideas:
- Whole grain toast with toppings like avocado, baked beans, egg or peanut butter
- Savory muffins
- Mini frittatas
- Smoothies with low-fat milk and fruits
- Soups – chicken and veggie or lentil and veggie
So sit back and enjoy this episode of the Chatabout Children Podcast with Sonia Bestulic as she interviews Monica Kubizniak.
Don’t forget to subscribe, leave a rating and review:
Any information and links presented within the Chatabout Children™ with Sonia Bestulic podcast are aimed to provide general information and advice only.
Information is to be used at the discretion of the consumer/ listener.
The information presented does not replace or substitute the expert advice received from a direct consultation with the relevant qualified professional.