Sometimes, parents think they know everything about parenting until their children become teenagers and they start withdrawing and changing their personalities altogether. A person’s teenage life can be perplexing and parenting at this stage can be as challenging, if not more challenging, as parenting a six- or seven-year-old. If you are a parent of a child who is nearing teenage years, it is understandable that you may worry about the coming years. How can you prepare for your child’s teenage years? We tackle this question and many more with our guest for this episode: Sacha Kaluri.
Sacha Kaluri is the CEO of The Motivational Company. In the past two decades, she has spoken in front of school groups, parents, teachers, universities, colleges, and government agencies about parenting. Her topics of expertise are careers, motivation, bullying, cyberbullying, and cyber safety, body image, stress management, teamwork, and leadership. Every year, she does more than 150 presentations on these topics. Sacha writes weekly columns at the Herald Sun and has authored the internationally acclaimed book The Two Worlds of Your Teenager. She is also the co-owner and founder of Australia’s largest youth educational event: The Australian Teenage Expo.
In this episode, we pick Sacha’s brain for her thoughts on how best to support our teens and tweens.
Listen to my conversation with Sacha and learn:
- Some pointers on how to prepare yourself for your kids’ adolescent years
- Why it’s important not to be too hard on yourself as a parent
- The core things that parents need to foster with their children no matter what their age is
- Why it’s so important to recognize what information to share and when to share them to your children as they advance in life
- The importance of self-awareness in a teen’s or tween’s life
- How parents can help their children make wise career choices
- The top challenges that teens and tweens face in today’s current world
- How parents could connect with other parents for support
- An introduction to Sacha’s book The Two Worlds of Your Teenager
- The story behind the Australia Teenage Expo
Sacha’s Key Message to Parents of Soon-to-Be Teens
“Get to know them. Get to know them. Get to know them. Notice things. Notice things on a daily basis. Just have a conversation with them on a daily basis.”
“What is it that you want to learn about when no one’s asking you to learn about it?”
Don’t forget to subscribe:
Any information and links presented within the Chatabout Children™ with Sonia Bestulic podcast are aimed to provide general information and advice only.
Information is to be used at the discretion of the consumer/ listener.
The information presented does not replace or substitute the expert advice received from a direct consultation with the relevant qualified professional.